Friday, July 18, 2008

Loving Batman The Dark Knight


We have been working really hard at Gruvie, so hard in fact that we all took the afternoon off yesterday and went to the 2:10 showing of the new Batman movie. When we were done a couple of us had a rather interesting discussion about the film, but before I get into that I have to say I thought the movie was amazing! However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not cut out to be a critic, I am too easily entertained, regardless of the quality of the acting, storyline, or special effects I usually walk away happy. But this movie was especially intriguing because the complexity of the storyline and the characters was riveting. I'll try not to go into too much detail for those of you who have not seen the film yet, but if you are the type that likes to go into a movie knowing nothing this is your warning, read no further.

For starters the acting was impressive, I was not fond of Maggie Gyllenhall who played Rachel, but otherwise the characters were flawless, and as for the Joker, he was superb. But the underlying themes and the way the story twisted our conceptual understanding of society and good and evil was thought provoking. The idea that good can win over evil was challenged over and over as Joker had his way with Gotham and turned the city against Batman and attempted to turn people against people. He was always very creative as he forced Batman and the citizens of Gotham to make decisions between two evils. This was demonstrated most powerfully when he wired two ferries full of people with explosives and delivered the detonator of each to the people on the opposite ferry. One was full of regular citizens and the other was full of prisoners, but each had the opportunity to detonate the other ship before midnight and whoever blew up the other first would survive. This scene was one of my favorite parts in the whole movie and I'm not going to ruin it for you, but hurry up and go see it because I want to talk to you about it!

I guess that is enough for now and I'll have to do a follow-up post later to discuss the film in more details. If you have already seen it please tell me what you thought about it in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. We just saw it on Sat night, and I agree, didn't like Maggie Gyllenhal (what happened to Katie Homles)? I hope that Heath is nominated for an Oscar, that was an amazing & intense acting job! I too, liked the part with the cruise ships. My other favorite part was when Batman gave his friend (morgan freemans character) the job of monitoring the cell phone tower. I liked when they said, "That would be too much power for one man." Batman- "That's why I gave the job to you." Lots of good take0home messages. We can talk more about it when we see you guys this weekend!

    ReplyDelete